This past weekend for Memorial Day we took a trip down to Utah to go to Grandpa's cabin. I was excited to go, but it was a little hard getting down there. I did good until we got through Oakley and saw the Kamas sign...then the road got a little blurry. I blame it on having my window down and dirt getting in my eyes. The cabin looked the same, but it was missing Grandpa. Every time I walked by where he would sit at the table I could here him say "Can I get you anything grandson?" He was the best.
The first night there we went to get some pizza in town. Summit Inn Pizza has some awesome pizza. We all got personal size pizzas and cheese sticks. Kennedy is obsessed with Parmesan Cheese.
Rachael controlled her excitement for the pizza really well...sup...
Mimi with her two favorites...haha, just kidding...I'm her favorite.
After pizza we got some ice cream scoops...
We got back to the cabin and started the traditional feeding of the Blue Jays. The fridge had five huge bags of peanuts just waiting for the birds.
The first night there we saw a ton of deer, but I think they went further up the mountain for the holiday because we didn't see very many after Friday night.
I think this was the first year I've seen blossoms on the apple tree...
After a night of hardcore partying we went to the local diner for breakfast...
Kennedy was still recuperating...
Jacob got these two huge blueberry pancakes. They looked delicious and he ate them all...
The birds were out early the next morning. I had a bag of seed in my car and put some in the feeder so they would have something different than peanuts.
Best view ever!
Potguts!!!
Jacob was so happy that he sneaked out a Dr. Pepper...I told him it'd be more convincing if he poured it into my empty Strawberry Fanta can so no one would know. He thought that was the coolest thing ever! I think I may be a bad influence on my kid...haha
The kids decided to sharpen sticks to try to kill the Potguts...don't know what they would have done if they got one, but it was something for them to do.
Another thing missing from the cabin were all the Hummingbird feeders. You could hear the Hummingbirds and occasionally one would fly up to where the feeders were and hung out for a second then they would fly off...
After I put out some bird seed the chipmunks showed up...
Mimi showing the kids how to throw their "spears"...
The whole weekend we would wake up and the weather would be great. In the afternoons a storm would roll through and then at night the weather would be nice again.
Relaxing on the porch watching the rain fall...
Mary Poppins...
This dude had some wild hair...
Rachael's grandpa told Jacob about how one time he got a Blue Jay to take a peanut out of his ear and out of his hand. Since then, Jacob has always wanted a Blue Jay to take a peanut out of his hand. It might work, but Jacob lacks the patience to wait for it.
On Memorial Day we put the flag up and headed to town.
Our first stop was down in Heber...
There was a fire truck that had the flag on display driving down Main Street.
After Heber we went to Park City for lunch and walking around. We stopped at a place on the Main Street that was okay, not the greatest and I probably wouldn't go back there. Having worked in the food industry I expect a certain degree of customer service...it's how you get your tips. This place charged a tip automatically and then the servers and staff just stood there as you got your own drinks and ignored you.
Waiting for the trolley...
Jacob thought this car was the coolest...it looked like a Hot Wheels car.
Riding the trolley...
This picture takes me back to my childhood. Whenever we'd go to the cabin we always went to Park City. This is the view driving back into Kamas from Park City.
I'm pretty sure the "SS" on the mountain means South Summit, but Jacob says "Smelly Shelly" after my mom tried to convince him it stood for "Super Shelly".
It was a great weekend hanging out with my folks and Jacob really enjoyed playing with his cousin. He was so sad when we left and he even offered to go home with my mom and dad until his baptism later this month. The cabin is probably one of the places I have the most memories of childhood. It wasn't the same without grandpa, but the memories of him and my grandma will always live on.
No comments:
Post a Comment